Mortal Kombat Nexu Banner

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > MKNexusonline Zone > News Updates

Notices

News Updates Read all the latest news about Mortal Kombat from around the world..

Comment

Bookmark and Share Article Tools Search this Article
What's Next For Mortal Kombat, NetherRealm Studios
Published by MKRayden
08-25-2010
Post What's Next For Mortal Kombat, NetherRealm Studios

Kotaku has posted an intriguing article where they interview Ed Boon about the future of Mortal Kombat, Life after Midway Games and what's in store for Netherrealm Studios.

When Warner Bros. picked up the Mortal Kombat property and the team responsible for making it, the studio told Boon and team "We want to give you more time. We want to focus on quality."
'I think what people are seeing are the results of that," Boon says. "We're not working under the same accelerated pace that we were during the past few games." That means a Mortal Kombat game that's not as "barebones," in Boon's words, as the last entry, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.
But it also won't be as overstuffed with features as 2006's Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, a game that boasted more than 60 characters, multiple mini-games, a "Kreate A Fighter" mode and more. This time, Boon says, the team is focusing more on the core game, plus offering the unlockable secrets the series is known for.
"We're going to have a Krypt. It's going to have a really elaborate and sophisticated unlocking system," Boon says. "We'll have really deep online stuff. Not to say that we're never going to do [those over the top bonus modes] again, but this game's not going to have a puzzle game or chess game. This is really us focusing on those first three games..."
According to Boon, it seems the new home of Mortal Kombat is focused on extending the franchise beyond just fighting games.
"Warner Bros. made it pretty clear when we came on, that there's a lot more than can be done with Mortal Kombat," Boon says. "Not 'a lot more' as in, 'Let's release two games a year' and beat it into the ground. A lot more in terms of other media—movies, comic books, TV shows, stuff like that."
Boon himself believes there's room to grow on the video game side as well.
"I'd still like to see Mortal Kombat extend to other types of [genres]," he says. "I think [Mortal Kombat spin-off] Shaolin Monks proved that a solid game could be made in terms of action adventure.
"I would certainly like to do something more than [just fighting games]. But it's important that the first game we work on is successful and proves to us that this was a good move by Warner Bros. to pick us up."
"I really want Warner Bros. to be glad that they made this decision. But we definitely would like to work on new types of games. And we've had a number of discussions about it and some things are in the early stages. Not that I don't like Mortal Kombat but I certainly would like to try to work on a different property too."

Click here read more

textLatest 5 articles
text
text
By Rain on 08-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Well that interview was really satisfactory.. I wished they'd put chess kombat in but well nvm lol.. Really excited about the Krypt coming back.. I hope they give this game a storyline or something man..

About the other Genre's he's right its very much possible I just hope they make another game like Shaolin monks..

He just said movies :D!!
By LK765 on 08-27-2010, 06:49 PM
ed boon wants to work on other games too?
By RKO Dragon15 on 08-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Lol, I'll like to see another MK movie, the 1st one is pretty good, and other genres like Shaolin Monks also cool :D
By Draconian on 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I for one liked the chess feature, as for over stuffed? a game that comes with
multiple extras makes us buy it it! i mean come on, anyone will buy a game with extras rather than the game with nothing!
but ime will tell, let's hope it holds up to the promise!
By RKO Dragon15 on 09-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconian View Post
I for one liked the chess feature, as for over stuffed? a game that comes with
multiple extras makes us buy it it! i mean come on, anyone will buy a game with extras rather than the game with nothing!
but ime will tell, let's hope it holds up to the promise!
I also liked the Chess minigame, it was kool to play, and yeah, Its better to buy something with some extras than nothing of extras at all
By Rain on 09-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO Dragon15 View Post
I also liked the Chess minigame, it was kool to play, and yeah, Its better to buy something with some extras than nothing of extras at all
Chess should definitely come back IMO.. amazing idea in MK
By xx123manxx on 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I really don't like the mini games i'm more focused on the game play
Last edited by blade; 09-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Added the thing you said in your second post
By AliceScorpion on 09-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I think the minigames in MK are for distressing people who can´t play very well the arcade or Konquest modes....
And another way to play MK
By MKRayden on 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
characters renders
Comment