Mortal Kombat X Sub-Zero and Scorpion Banner

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > MKNexusonline Zone > News Updates

Notices

News Updates Read all the latest news about Mortal Kombat from around the world..

Comment

Bookmark and Share Article Tools Search this Article
How a Blind Man Can Play in Mortal Kombat Tournaments
How a Blind Man Can Play in Mortal Kombat Tournaments
Published by MKRayden
08-15-2012
Post How a Blind Man Can Play in Mortal Kombat Tournaments

TYM took interview with blind tournament player

STORMS: First off, Hello James and it's a pleasure to "interview" you!

Let me just say that when Tim Static sent me a text letting me know that there was going to be a "blind" player coming up on Console Combat I stopped what I was doing and rushed to my laptop. It's not everyday that we are honored to have such a member of the community be recognized like this. It's not everyday that we hear about a blind player playing Mortal Kombat or any fighting game, thus where the wonder comes in to play. I'll start off with my questions to both of you...

STORMS: 1. I noticed Devontae, that you would assist James in putting his headset on and other various things during play. Devontae, do you assist during the match at all or is it all James?

Devontae: 1. Stormz, yes I do assist James in matches at home. I turn the volume up on the television when he needs to hear it. Usually he sits next to it so that he can hear it better. I also inform him of how much meter he has, and inform him of when he is capable of breaking; performing EX moves and when he is able to perform X-rays. He does well online and I do the exact same thing when he plays online. I never tell him what moves to do. He has memorized the move list of the character(s) he plays with and knows most of the fatalities

STORMS: 2. How long have the both of you been doing this? Meaning, going to tournaments and doing what you did at Console Combat.

James: 2. This was me and Devontae’s first tournament. We usually go through “drills” where I go through the move list of the character I want to play with. Most of the time I usually play casually with friends and family.
Devontae: I’ve been James friend for a while. I would help him learn the move sets of certain characters, and put him through different scenarios that test his knowledge of that character. Since he got Mortal Kombat, we have been doing this.

STORMS: 3. Does James have a history with Mortal Kombat or fighting games? Meaning, has he played them since the early days in a competitive nature or casual?

James: 3. Yes I have a history. I have had EVERY MORTAL KOMBAT game that ever came out. I’ve played Tekken, the Dragon Ball Z series, and the Soul Calibur series but mostly Mortal Kombat. CoCo was my first tournament experience.

STORMS: 4. James, in your situation when playing, what is your execution process? Meaning, during the match do you just listen carefully to what your opponent is doing (i.e. throwing out a projectile, etc) or is it all guessing? Are you completely blind or are you able to see in the slightest?

James: 4. I listen to sound cues mostly. Usually I don’t worry about what the opponent is doing because I am performing my moves before they have a chance to do the same. To answer your second question. I was born six months early and weighed half a pound. I have ROP (Retina opathy of prematurity) meaning my retinas are detached. This is why I became blind at birth. Giving me too much oxygen was also a factor.
Devontae: I got him to sit next to the TV while I play with different characters and explain what each character is doing while making a specific sound. He is aware that the game recycles character noises like grunts and yells. His hearing has been a big help.

STORMS: 5. James, if you don't mind us asking, how long have you been blind and what is the spark behind having the desire to play fighting games? By the way, you should know that the stream chat was all in your favor including me while you were fighting! It was very exciting to see you playing... I hope to see you again and hopefully meet you.

James: 5. As I’ve said in question four, I have been blind since birth, and I wanted to prove that even though I cannot see, I can go and do things like everyone else. My short term goal is to attempt to take Season’s Beatings, and my long term goes is to go to EVO 2012. I know that the road will be long and difficult, but with my friend’s help, and with God watching over me, I know that I can succeed in anything I do.

STORMS: 6. Why Raiden? Though, in my opinion he may be one of your best choices to play with considering three of his best moves when executed: teleport, throw and "superman". Do you play any other characters?

James: 6. Idk. I guess I picked him because he’s my strongest character. He has different forms movement that I can’t take advantage of. His combos are easy to perform in succession. I do play with other characters. They are Kitana, Smoke, Jade, Scarlet, Kabal, Sonya and recently Kung Lao.

STORMS: 7. How often will we be seeing you and Devontae attending Cleveland's Console Combat?

James: 7. hopefully every time. We will also try to be at the Major tournaments as well
Devontae: I will try as hard as I can to get to Coco. I really want to participate.

STORMS: 8. How do you train? Do you hit up practice mode or do you also have an offline practice partner, your brother for example?

James: 8. Most of the time when Devontae isn’t at my house, he puts me through drills over the phone. But when he is here, we usually play casually for a while before playing with a tournament mindset.
Devontae: When I am there, we also go online and either plays online with family who also has Mortal Kombat or fight random people online. I recently got him to start playing tag matches, which he hates, LOL.

STORMS: 9. Can we look forward to see you at any upcoming majors?

James: 9. Most defiantly!
Devontae: If we can make and if we are prepared to whoop ass!

STORMS: 10. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer these! It's a pleasure to have a player as unique as you in our community - Thank you and good luck!

textLatest 5 articles
text
text
By Jonnyrp on 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, here's one that doesn't get into a character only judging based on looks.:P

But that's great news. Always good to hear stuff like that. Wish him the best of luck. He should keep it up.
By MKRayden on 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
The real blind Kenshi
By Lui_Kang_HERO on 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
O_O'.................I have nothing to say, the guy's incredible.
By MKRayden on 08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
There was one more person who is blind and played mkdeception click this link
By Shan on 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Ah, never underestimate the blind.
Comment