Mortal Kombat Nexus  banner

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > MKNexusonline Zone > News Updates

Notices

News Updates Read all the latest news about Mortal Kombat from around the world..

Comment

Bookmark and Share Article Tools Search this Article
Street Fighter X Tekken low Sales Due To Too Many Fighting Games
Street Fighter X Tekken low Sales Due To Too Many Fighting Games
Published by MKRayden
05-16-2012
Post Street Fighter X Tekken low Sales Due To Too Many Fighting Games

Street Fighter X Tekken managed to sell 1.6 million units between launch and Capcom's most recent earnings report. While that number is certainly high, it is still far below the company's expectations. Capcom wanted to hit 2 million sales, and it didn't reach that goal. Though we all know Street Fighter X Tekken will eventually reach those figures, the fact that it didn't already is something Capcom isn't too pleased with.

"Sales of Street Fighter X Tekken have fallen short of our plan," said the company in a recent Q&A. "We believe one of the causes is cannibalism because of the large number of other games in this genre that were launched within a short time."

textLatest 5 articles
text
text
By kombatant_mark_anthony on 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM
it will take time for the rank of the money to build up.
By Jonnyrp on 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I dunno why but i kind of feel like: "How much higher would they pretend their expectations were if they had sold over 2 millions yet?"

Well, 1.6 is not bad. And i know that they're like, 2 really popular and cool names in the genre but i can't help but think that they're easily jumping to conclusions. Was the amount of fighting games an issue in the ninethies for a game having poor sales? I mean, some names weren't and still aren't as popular as names such as SF and MK, Tekken or KOF but Killer Instinct? It managed to find itself a pretty large fanbase and would have, with or without the competitors imo.

I admit i'm a little impressed that this game hasn't yet made gamers or fighting gamers forget about some of the names previously released. Yeah, SC5 kind of had a low start based on what i heard. Wonder if things started to build up for Namco's SC5 but blaming the already saturated market because one particular popular game kind of feels short of their really high expectations? They weather need to give it some time. Or accept that the popularity of the 2 games would/should have taken this one to a higher level than any other game on the shelfs at the moment.

There are quite many names i know. Blaze Blue, Super SF4, Ultimate MVC and so on but can you imagine that within the last year, that you like or not the game, NRS's reboot of MK kind of blowed all the others away and seems it is still doing it well? After things such as MKA and MKvsDC? Who would have predicted this one would go well over a full year? And the already saturated market. Wouldn't this aspect have taken down MK9 already?

Funny fact for guys saying the market is overloaded with fighting games: MVC3, UMVC3, SSF4, SC5 are all Capcom and Namco, the very 2 names entangled in this particular. Without forgetting handheld arcade 2nd and 3rd editions of some of thoses names. They should look in the mirror and both ask themselves who's to blame for oversaturation of the fighting game area.;)
Last edited by Jonnyrp; 05-17-2012 at 07:28 AM..
By The_Emperor on 05-17-2012, 03:07 AM
I had and have no intention of ever buying Street Fighter X Tekken.
Comment