Mortal Kombat Nexus  banner

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > Mortal Kombat > Mortal Kombat Classic

Notices

Mortal Kombat Classic Talk about Mortal Kombat old games which includes: MK, MK II, MK 3, Ultimate MK 3, MK Advance, MK Trilogy, MK 4, MK Gold, MKDA ,MKD, MKA., MK Vs. DCU, MK9 and MKXL, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate earlier).

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM  
The Official Mortal Kombat Character Names Meanings Thread.

MKRayden
Owner

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 271
Likes (Received): 137
My Mood: Innocent
Total Downloaded: 111.28 MB
Show Printable Version Email this Page
MKRayden MKRayden is offline 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Rating: text (0 votes - average)

Feel free to also add on your own Meanings Of Names, for Minor Characters I didn't list/etc.

Argus- In Greek Mythology, the name "Argus" meant "all eyes", as in Greek Mythology The Giant had One Hundred Eyes.

Ashrah- An Arabic Female Name, which means the Number "10". The name is also a pun on The Name "Asherah" which was the name for a supposed "Semetic Mother Goddess".

Baraka- In Islam, Baraka means a "spiritual power believed to be possessed by certain persons, objects, tombs/etc.".

Blaze- Obviously related to the type of fire known as a "Blaze".

Bo'Rai Cho- A pun of The Spanish name "Boraccho" which means someone who is drunk. The name was altered with "Rai" instead of just "Ra" so when just the little change is combined, it is made to sound like an Asian name, as said by Ed Boon.

Cyrax-

Chameleon- Obviously related to the Chameleon animal, which can change colors.

Daegon- A pun on the name "Dagon", who supposedly was a deity of a Semetic God.

Dairou- A common Japanese name.

Delia- "Delia" means "Lady Of Fire".

Darrius- Just a popular African American name.

Drahmin- A deity of an Oni (The demons/etc. of Japanese Folklore.)

Ermac- A name which was shortened, that came from the two words "Error Macro".

Frost- Obviously a name referencing to the type of Ice, Frost.

Fujin- The Name actually references to The Japanese God Of Wind, "Fujin" from Japanese Folklore.

Goro- Japanese word for "Fifth Son".

Havik- Obviously a pun on the word "Havoc", which means "Wide and General Destruction", or "Great Confusion and Disorder".

Hotaru- The Japanese Word meaning "Firefly".

Hsu Hao-

Jade- Obviously a reference to The Color Jade.

Jax- Slang for the name "Jackson".

Johnny Cage- The "Cage" part is a properly spelled version of the English word "Cage", and the name being a counter-pun on the name "Kage" which in Japanese means "Shadow".

Kabal- A pun on The Word "Cabal" which is a conglomeration of hebrew elitist who practiced the jewish wizardry called Kabbalah. They are called caballists.

Kai- A Deity of a Mythical God.

Kano- The Last Name of the person who was the founder of The Martial Art Judo.

Kenshi- A pun on The Japanese word "Kensei", which means "Sword Saint" in English.

Khameleon- A female version of The "Chameleon" Character who is based off the same Characteristics, but is spelled with a "K" (Mortal Kombat Style) instead of being spelled "Chameleon".

Kintaro- A Hero in Japanese Mythology.

Kira- Probably based on The Town named "Kira", in Japan.

Kitana- Obviously a pun on the word "Katana", which is a Type of Japanese Sword.

Kobra- Obviously a Mortal Kombat Style pun on the name "Cobra", a type of Snake.

Kung Lao- The name consists of the word "Kung" which derived from the Chinese name "Gong", which was the name of a Qing Dynasty Official who was a Governer in the Sichuan Province, and the word "Lao", which is the name of An Ethnic Asian Group.

Kurtis Stryker- "Kurtis" is just a Mortal Kombat Style Version of The Common Name "Curtis", as The Name is spelled with a "K".

Li Mei- "Li" in Japanese means "Pretty" or "Powerful", and Mei in Japanese means "May".

Liu Kang- The name is just taken from a reknowned painter, whose name was Liu Kang.

Mavado-

Meat- Obviously just a reference to the food "Meat".

Mileena-

Mokap- A pun on the shortened name of "Motion Capture" which is properly shortened as "Mo-Cap", however it is shortened Mortal Kombat Style with a "K" so it is spelled "Mokap" instead of "Mo-Cap".

Moloch- Moloch is a Philistean God, however he was later modified in The Christian and Hebrew Religions as a Foreign God of Strife, Conflict, War, Flies and Dung.

Motaro- Derived from the name "Momotaro", who in Japanese Folklore was a Hero.

Nightwolf- Obviously just a Tribal Name, as Nightwolf is Native-American.

Nitara- In Hindi, Nitara means "Deeply Rooted".

Noob Saibot- The Name consists of the words "Noob", which is Ed Boon's last name backwards, and "Saibot", which is Ex-Midway Team Member John Tobias's last name backwards. However, "Saibot" at the same time in itself is a pun of the word "Cybot", which in The Mortal Kombat 4 Universe is what Noob Saibot refers to as his Army Of Cyborgs.

Onaga- The Name comes from The Japanese word "Ou" (pronounced "O") which means "King", and "Naga", based on The Naga People of Asia, who believe they are connected to Snakes. But also in some Languages simply means "Dragon". (I think it's safe to say that I am correct when I say that The Midway Team probably based the "Naga" part off "Naga" meaning "Dragon" in some Languages, as after all it would make complete sense, since Onaga is The "Dragon King".

Quan Chi- "Quan" is just a common Chinese Family Name, and "Chi" (also spelled as "Ki") means "Energy". Quan however, can also mean "Fist".

Raiden- Based off the Japanese God Of Thunder/Lighting in Japanese Mythology, "Raijin"/"Raiden".

Rain- Obviously just a reference to the Element of Rain.

Reiko- Though Reiko is man, "Reiko" is actually a feminine Japanese Name.

Reptile- Obviously just based on The Reptilian Types of Species.

Sareena-

Scorpion- Obviously just based on The Scorpion Animal.

Sektor- A pun on The word "Sector", with the pun being that the Name is written with a "K", Mortal Kombat Style.

Shang Tsung- "Shang Tsung" has a lot of meanings, one of them being a Temple Elder or a "Risen Elder". Also, The Name "Shang" is one of The Prime Chinese Dynasties.

Shao Kahn- "Shao" or also known as "Xiao", means "little", and "Kahn" is another way of spelling "Khan", which in Mongolian Languages means Commander, Leader, or Ruler.

Sheeva- A pun on The Name "Shiva", who in Hindu Mythology was a God.

Shinnok- "Shin", in Chinese and Japanese, is a word meaning "New", and "Nok" was an Ancient Civilization. If these words are even related, I honestly doubt it since there also is the possibility that The Midway Team just thought of the Name themselves coincidentially, not thinking of the two words.

Shujinko- In Japanese, "Shujinko" means "Protagonist".

Sindel-

Smoke- Obviously just based off The Element Of Smoke.

Sonya Blade- "Sonya" is one of Ed Boon's Sister's Names, and "Blade", is obviously just a reference to a Blade on a Weapon.

Sub-Zero- Obviously just a reference to The Sub-Zero Temperature, as Sub-Zero of course has Powers Of Ice.

Tanya- Just a pun on The Name "Tania", which was actually The Name of Ed Boon's Sister.

Taven-

Note: This Topic actually made by MKO Memeber RyanRaiden

Views: 12266
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Jonnyrp liked this post
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Jonnyrp
Creator of Vaeternus

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 174
Likes (Received): 33
My Mood: Buzzed
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRayden View Post
Sonya and Tanya are also Muslim name.
You sure about Sonya? I would never have thought that.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
RKO Dragon15
Skilled Warrior

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 0
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyrp View Post
Oh, that's true. Do you mean the name was really inspired by the word mustard?
not precisely from Mustard, but maybe something in between the eyes changed from being Mustard to being Cyrax
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
MKRayden
Owner

1monstermem Champion Pacman Champion yeti1_5shots Champion bloodypingu Champion
text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 271
Likes (Received): 137
My Mood: Innocent
Total Downloaded: 111.28 MB
Gamer IDs:
PSN ID: MKRayden
In Islam Sonya name also meaning is wisdom and tanya name means fairy princess
MKRayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Jonnyrp
Creator of Vaeternus

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 174
Likes (Received): 33
My Mood: Buzzed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO Dragon15 View Post
not precisely from Mustard, but maybe something in between the eyes changed from being Mustard to being Cyrax
Ok, so Sektor's name must be taken not precisely from Ketchup but it inspired them.LOL!

@MK_Rayden thanks. I really like your meaning of Tanya's name as a fairy princess!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Duo Bian
Arrival

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
My Mood: Relaxed
I just want to add my two cents to this topic. I've done so on another forum, but here goes...

Ashrah: I could definitely see Ashrah being derived from the Arabic word ʿašraʰ. Asherah is the mother goddess in the Ugaritic and Phoenician-Canaanite pantheon and is the wife of ʾĒl ʿElyôn. If Ashrah's name comes from Asherah, it would mean something along the lines of "grove".

Cyrax: I don't think there's a real meaning to this name. It's just meant to have a robotic sounding name.

Darrius: Although this is a name usually given to African American males, the name Darrius comes from the Hellenized form of an ancient Persian name, which is Dārayavahuš. In the Hebrew Bible, he's called Daryāweš/Daryāveš. Apparently, the meaning of this name is something along the lines of "lord".

Drahmin: Although Drahmin is an Oni, his name sounds more Indian or maybe even Persian as opposed to Japanese, but I could be wrong.

Kano: I doubt that it was intended for Kano to be named after Jigorō Kanō, the founder of Kōdōkan Jūdō. I believe that John Tobias intended to simply give him a Japanese name due to wanting to give him a somewhat Japanese background. Just to note, the name is correctly pronounced "kah-no" as opposed to "kay-no" like it is like in the games, movies, etc. Kanō is a Japanese surname and apparently has various meanings, such as "festering" or "feasible".

Kitana: Although Kitana sounds like "katana", the derivation from katana doesn't make sense to me, especially since Kitana doesn't even wield a katana.

Li Mei: If I'm not mistaken, Li Mei comes from the Chinese name Měilě, meaning "beautiful and graceful". It makes sense considering the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon vibe the MK team wanted to give to her as well as make her something of a bombshell beauty.

Mavado: Mavado was originally going to be called "Malvado", which is Spanish for "evildoer". It makes sense given his character and the sort of Spanish features he has. I actually kind of wish that they kept his name as "Malvado".

Moloch: Moloch is not a Philistine god. Moloch is an ancient deity in the Phoenician-Canaanite pantheon in which his archaic name was Mōlk. He was also particularly associated as being a god of the Ammonites, who are a subset of Canaanites. Parents would sacrifice their children to please Moloch, and that was one of the reasons why he was villainized by the Israelites, who called him Mōleḵ. He may or may not be the same as the Ammonite deity Milcom (Milkōm in Biblical Hebrew). The name Moloch itself was meanings of "king" or "ruler", and it's a cognate to the Arabic word mālik and the Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic word meleḵ, with the same meanings.

Raiden: Raiden simply means "thunder and lightning" in reference to his powers.

Shao Kahn: The name Kahn itself is a surname derived from the Hebrew word kōhēn, which is a Levite priest and a descendant of Aaron, a biblical prophet and the brother of Moses. This surname is used by German Ashkenazi Jews, but I seriously doubt that this was the intention behind naming Shao Kahn. It would have made more sense to have had the "Kahn" be "Khan" to go with the conqueror theme to his character.
Duo Bian is offline   Reply With Quote