Mortal Kombat Nexus Sektor Banner

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > Pc and Consoles Gaming > Pc / Console Gaming > PlayStation Gaming Review

Notices

PlayStation Gaming Review All Play Station gaming review

Comment

Bookmark and Share Review Tools Search this Review
Mortal Kombat vs DC universe
Published by Jonnyrp
01-02-2012
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Difficulty Level
40%40%40%
Value
40%40%40%
Average 60%
text

The game is Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. Yes, a crossover and also the beginning of a dream that seems shared by both MK fans and creators to have more MK games crossed with other fighting games in the future. Titles such as: Street fighter, Killer Instinct, Tekken have all been lined up as rumors for future MK crossovers. I personally wish they won't happen soon, or even happen. But i could let myself into MK vs Street fighter.

MK vs DC came out a couple years after MK Armageddon. Of course, a lot of complaints started flowing from the MK general fanbase and with reason. The lead creator Ed Boon kept saying that the new MK that would follow MKA would be really dark and serious. Everyone assumed that he meant: Vile, violent and ruthless. Until he announced that it was to be a crossover. MK9 already screwed up the return to the past and feeling of nostalgia they promised us by making itself more of a joke of the first games story instead of being a fidele remake/reboot. So to speak, i'm still waiting for that darker and more violent game. Some characters in the franchise still have the potential to raise the bar in terms of darker, more serious and more grizzly storytelling but for now, MK characters faced DC characters before MK9 was released...

And the game in itself is not all crap. In fact, there is some fun to get out of a Batman vs Raiden or Liu Kang fight no matter which side you prefer. But to tell you honestly, i only did the story mode on the side of MK. You can choose which side you will do in the beginning of story mode but that lame change of character each chapter, when you can't choose which one you want to play with kind of got on my nerves when playing on the MK side. Guess they assume that ppl are too lazy or empty brained to choose the one that they want to try first from now on? And being forced to defeat Superman with Raiden before facing the last boss kind of spoiled the ending for DC universe side. Yep, everyone dies in the End but Raiden and Superman. Depending on which side you'll choose they are the characters you'll be forced to use in the final fight.

The look and gameplay are not so bad overall, makes it kind of enjoyable for the time being. What sux is that there's no much replay value here, except for a Combo challenge mode, in which you will choose a character and start to learn his/her particular tactics and combos. This time, unlike the MKD-MKA era, with the addition of "Pro-Moves" (Moves that have to be input really precisely and at the right time in the middle of the combo.) Some combos will end up being really challenging. Not many MK games can stand up to this one in terms of difficulty but MKDA? Not too sure but maybe. There are also a couple additions to the fights like free fall Kombat, during which you can keep beating your opponent up while falling from a building or a cliff. This time, test your might implies that you grab your opponent and drive him throught a wall. You then keep running with him passed multiple walls until the end of the sequence.

This time, obviously, the fatalities have nothing brutal or gory. Some evil characters even ended up with really joky fatalities. Serious and Dark? Well i guess we've been screwed!

Could this game be much better than it was? Well i think yes. But i won't judge it too hard. Even though i was kind of unhappy to hear about that crossover after hearing great news and promises about what kind of MK game we would have, i was putting aside most of the negative shit that was going around amongst the fans and ready to wait and give it a try. Well, i did and i was far from impressed or satisfied with the game but there's still some fun to take out of it for an evening with friends, fans of MK, DC or not. 6/10

text
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes RKO Dragon15 liked this post
By RKO Dragon15 on 01-05-2012, 09:40 AM
You know, I pretty much agree with all you said, this game isn't completely crap, I still don't like the idea, but might as well give it a try, the fighting system was pretty good but wasn't spectacular either, it could have been done better, yes it could, but it would be hard to satisfy DC fans... and worse to satisfy MK fans, being T-rated didn't help much either, Kombo Challenges were pretty tough and had a knack for giving you moments of frustration trying to make a combo right, but hey it was fun. Personally I don't dislike the game and I enjoyed playing it, mostly becuz I enjoy any fighting game... which speaking of each it is a fighting game, but it isn't MK, and that's what people should understand when they will go to play this game, this isn't MK, its a crossover fighting game, it got Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden, but it still isn't MK, it's just per say something of a relaxed MK, not really the big one itself. Me? I can't complain of what you said, couldn't said it better myself, I also agree with your score, so here I'm more of complementing your opinion :)
By MKRayden on 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Mk Vs. DCU isn't too bad read my review
By Jonnyrp on 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Difficulty Level
40%40%40%
Value
40%40%40%
Average 60%
Yeah, nice. I personally think a 50/50 about this one. But what i often hear is kind of weird since of course this is a crossover. It came at the right moment imo. After the Armageddon dead end in the MK storyline. So making a better game in so little time? And with Midway's problems?

Not bad, not impressive.
By MKRayden on 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Mk Vs. DCU is first 3D cross over game with good feature like klose kombat and test your might.
By RKO Dragon15 on 01-07-2012, 02:20 AM
that's true, it's a nice crossover game, but I still believe that they should've reconsider the one they were going to cross but ohh well
By Jonnyrp on 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Difficulty Level
40%40%40%
Value
40%40%40%
Average 60%
Yeah, the choice about the crossover was kind of weird. Ended up just alright though. For the exception of those fatalities. Would be hard to find a perfect one. Most games that included fatalities/finishers/executions disappeared.
By MKRayden on 01-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Mk Vs. DCU issue is they choose super heroes against mk characters whereas they go with any fighting game characters.
By Jonnyrp on 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Difficulty Level
40%40%40%
Value
40%40%40%
Average 60%
Do you mean the super heroes go with any fighting game chars or the MK chars?

I personally think the fact that the DC heroes going with any fighting game chars was kind of the issue, yes in the case of MK. That would be for Street Fighter though. The KI fast pace combos, projectiles, powers and overall violence would be the one to fit MK more naturally if it ever came back.
Comment