Mortal Kombat VS. DCU

MK1 MK2 MK3 UMK3 MK4 MKGold MKDA5 MKD MKSM MKA MK8 MK9 MKXL MK11 MK12

Go Back Forums - Mortal Kombat > Mortal Kombat > Mortal Kombat Classic

Notices

Mortal Kombat Classic Talk about Mortal Kombat old games which includes: MK, MK II, MK 3, Ultimate MK 3, MK Advance, MK Trilogy, MK 4, MK Gold, MKDA ,MKD, MKA., MK Vs. DCU, MK9 and MKXL, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate earlier).

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM  
BrianOK87
Fighter

text Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Total Downloaded: 0
I think this is where I do this... Rant on MK fans

Not all but most....

This originated on the Midway forums when I read the topic, who's the dummest MK charicter... that wasn't a typo, that was the actual title. Then one guy mentioned Meat and Kira. Basically Meat for being a "Lazy character that MK put together" and Kira for being an "Unoriginal character" Which I found odd because Meat is original. Any other characters pull off there heads and roll it around on stage? no. Here's my rant.

You can't please an MK fan. This is a reason for Ed Boon not to care about what MK fans want, even though that's not what he thinks but I wouldn't blame him for it. So fans want original characters, but it seems like the original characters (Mokap, Bo Rai Cho, Meat, Dairou, Havik(I know I don't like him but it's not for the reason I'm ranting about) Hotaru, Blaze, Molach, and so on) get alot of heat for being either simple characters or for being "Not fitting in the MK world." Ok, so really the only people that fit are those from 2D or have an everlasting storyline? Yeah right. Then those same people will go off and bash characters like Kira, Jarek, Kenshi(Not so much but example), Darious and so on for being unoriginal.

So wait... you're telling me that you hate someone for being original and hate people for being unoriginal? That doesn't sound right, because people hardly ever bashes Wolverine and Sabertooth. They're pretty much the same moves. A copy of another in different skin.

Then THESE SAME PEOPLE, will go off and say that Chameleon and Khameleon are among there top whatever favorites. Those are the most UNORIGINAL! All the ninja's put in one and all the female ninjas put in another, they even used the same weapons from the original versions from all who they are copying! I'm not saying they are bad characters because I don't believe in the whole "He's to unoriginal, he's doesn't fit in MK or he was just a lazy way to a new character stuff, but if you keep contradicting yourself you'll be the one who looks dumb for someone not giving a damn about what you want when making a game.

Then onto the subject of MK vs. DC universe. People keep saying "Sounds like they're running out of ideas, or Boon sounds like he's taking the easy way out" Are you kidding me? This game is a whole new idea, and he's putting even more in it. Also Ed Boon isn't taking the easy way out because now he's got to come up with some weirdo reasons for why the DC and MK worlds have collided and he has to not only live up to MK expectations, he's got to live up to DC expectations.

BTW, I don't mean you personally when I say you. I say you because if it is you who does this, maybe you can look at things from a better prespective.

Thanks for reading and feel free to post reasons why you disagree with some of my rant or why you agree. Or anything for that matter.

BrianOK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
BrianOK87
Fighter

text Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Kombat1234567 View Post
It sounds like this game will not be canon and even if it is, it appears it will take place sometime around MK2-MK3, so it won't affect Armageddon. I am definitely glad about that, but I wish we would have had the story threads wrapped up before they went and did this crossover. I always see crossovers as a sign of writer's block on the creators' part, like they don't know what to do with the franchise at the moment, so "let's crossover with someone else to kickstart some ideas", which ties into your comment about characters for MK8. That's pretty bad considering how many story ideas I myself have come up with for these characters, let alone all the other fans out there. If this crossover was truly a way of stalling Midway for needing a new MK game after their regular 2 year mark so that all the storylines can be tied up properly AND they can determine where they want to take the franchise, then that would be the ONLY reason I would support it. Everything else just sounds like sloppy or lazy work, get-rich-quick schemes, or a general desire to make the franchise something else.
I was a little disappointed that they are deciding to do this in the MK2 time of the MK story. I do think this is a good idea still though. I wasn't saying it like they were having writers block or anything I was saying it because if a good oppurtunity has come up to gather more fans and to try something different then they should've paused whatever they were doing for MK8 and in the process of making MKvsDC they could be thinking of MK ideas for MK8. It's not really a stall to come up with ideas but a good way to buy time instead of rushing things. Also I have too come up with a few storylines... not for MK but for MKvs.DC which would've been good IMO for post MKA.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Mortal_Kombat1234567
Arrival

text Post Thanks / Like
I agree to the fact that it shouldn't be rushed, and as I said, if it's to give them time to do things properly, then I support it. I mean, they go to the trouble of making a big stink about this being the last MK of this generation, blah blah blah, and then not putting in the effort to tie things up. That's just ****! They didn't even finish the bios! And I'm kind of curious: what are some of your ideas for MK/DC that would have been better than their story (well, what story there is )?
Mortal_Kombat1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
BrianOK87
Fighter

text Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I agree to the fact that it shouldn't be rushed, and as I said, if it's to give them time to do things properly, then I support it. I mean, they go to the trouble of making a big stink about this being the last MK of this generation, blah blah blah, and then not putting in the effort to tie things up. That's just ****! They didn't even finish the bios! And I'm kind of curious: what are some of your ideas for MK/DC that would have been better than their story (well, what story there is )?
If you go to fan art on this forums and go to the topic I created about the storylines that's where I started them. There is alot so.. lol
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Mortal_Kombat1234567
Arrival

text Post Thanks / Like
OK! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
BrianOK87
Fighter

text Post Thanks / Like
Well yeah, and plus, a crossover game like this right before the next series of MK games is a great idea so they can bring in more fans for the new stories characters and all that good stuff.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Mortal_Kombat1234567
Arrival

text Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianOK87 View Post
Well yeah, and plus, a crossover game like this right before the next series of MK games is a great idea so they can bring in more fans for the new stories characters and all that good stuff.
The only problem with that is the new fans are going to only know (or care) about the supposed "iconic" characters in MK/DC. It DOES explain the release of the MK Kollection that Midway is releasing in September for the PS2, but the problem with that is the new fans will probably be younger, and they'll have the next-gen systems. So it's not likely they'll downgrade from a PS3, and considering so many PS3s available do not play PS2 games, those characters are not going to be known anyway. Wait...I think you've nailed it. Future MK games are only going to be the iconic characters made for MK vs. DC and whichever new characters they create for said games. All other old characters are going to have been killed during Armageddon! That's too bad! There's some interesting characters there! That explains all the little clues that Boon has dropped since Armageddon's release! I'll have to think more on this...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #17
BrianOK87
Fighter

text Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The only problem with that is the new fans are going to only know (or care) about the supposed "iconic" characters in MK/DC. It DOES explain the release of the MK Kollection that Midway is releasing in September for the PS2, but the problem with that is the new fans will probably be younger, and they'll have the next-gen systems. So it's not likely they'll downgrade from a PS3, and considering so many PS3s available do not play PS2 games, those characters are not going to be known anyway. Wait...I think you've nailed it. Future MK games are only going to be the iconic characters made for MK vs. DC and whichever new characters they create for said games. All other old characters are going to have been killed during Armageddon! That's too bad! There's some interesting characters there! That explains all the little clues that Boon has dropped since Armageddon's release! I'll have to think more on this...
Oh yea. I don't think I've thought of that. That would suck because however iconic some of the older characters are they need to be let go sometimes, if they do keep the characters from the MK vs. DC games for the next series they could add some of the newer characters because they are post MKA. I mean, alot has happened since MK2 and I think they would make a mistake only including MK2 characters in the next series.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
Mortal_Kombat1234567
Arrival

text Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianOK87 View Post
Oh yea. I don't think I've thought of that. That would suck because however iconic some of the older characters are they need to be let go sometimes, if they do keep the characters from the MK vs. DC games for the next series they could add some of the newer characters because they are post MKA. I mean, alot has happened since MK2 and I think they would make a mistake only including MK2 characters in the next series.
See, that's the problem with not deciding on a course of action after Armageddon ahead of time. And that's my big concern! You can tell by over half the endings they came up for MKA that they hadn't really determined who would survive. (Except maybe Scorpion and Sub-Zero, but even SZ's ending was mediocre.) So this whole MK/DC thing could be the reboot of the franchise that Boon was always wanting to do. I read an article stating that Boon equated writing for so many characters "was like steering the Titanic". So instead of trying to complete interesting characters' stories properly, let's just kill them all off. Hmmm...who should survive and how can we tell that story? This would have been the 8 months of pre-planning that they were doing before MK/DC was suggested. Once the new idea was presented, they probably figured "let's throw in the iconic ones and see how the game does"! So maybe we the fans WILL actually be determining the future of MK! Wouldn't that be something? And of course, in that contingent will be all the new fans' feedback about MK/DC. (We liked this character!...We didn't like him! etc.) Time will test this theory! If we haven't heard anything about Armageddon through downloadable content, the game's release, or any other multimedia in the next year (from today), then that tells me that they're waiting for feedback from some other source before making any decisions about MKA. And I agree with you on the story post-MK2. There has been some good stuff that they've come up with, and it would be a shame and a waste to just wipe that all away.