Forums - Mortal Kombat

Forums - Mortal Kombat (https://www.mknexusonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mortal Kombat Classic (https://www.mknexusonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Arena(stages) does matter in mk9 (https://www.mknexusonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5597)

pain 11-26-2014 08:48 PM

Arena(stages) does matter in mk9

I was wondering if Arena(stage) matters in gameplay and after watching many tournament and playing against different players i came to conclusion YES, it does matter. For the sake of argument lets consider KABAL as our example. what i think is one of the biggest misconceptions within us is that Kabal wins all his matchups. My simple formula to beating Kabal is allowing players to corner themselves. Secondly, You have to keep attack him and take a risk once he’s knocked down. Kabal doesn’t have the best wakeup game and it’s risky for him to just throw out dashes since they’re punishable with full combo.
Since, the main thing includes pushing kabal to corner and here where arena matter. Kabal is much easier to defeat in short distance arena like PIT and will face much difficulties defeating him in stages like Rooftop because of his zoning. Remember, he is the best zoning character on ground as well as on air. Many other character like johnny cage, sub zero and specially jax does depend upon arena. Who else do you think can take advantage of arena?

Jonnyrp 11-27-2014 11:59 PM

Is this arena discussion or Kabal's Flaws discussion?
We'll have all characters able to use the Arena to their advantage in MKX. For a game like MK9, in 2D, where there's no ring out unless it happens during a fatality arena advantage isn't as appearant with a character more than another like you seem to think. A good player can apply a good wall combo when he needs to and has the chance to do so.

Don't get me wrong. You seem to have learned your lessons and know that Kabal has weakness. I'm not a bit impressed by that though. I never played MK in competitions and haven't had good casual matches against friends in a while. But don't think that posting here what you noticed about a particular character, what many other players may have already noticed about many more chars would make you an expert against a Kabal player that would be able to kick your ass with his hands behind his back.

I've known ways to punish Kabal since MK3, so i thought. As a Kabal player, i can easily say that i wasn't the best Kabal player in my group around the MK3 era and all that theory bullsh*t goes down the drain once you start to lose.

And for the arena thing. MK in 3d and with many ring outs possibilities, think of a game like Soul Calibur, then you can easily learn characters advantages in particular arenas with the 8 way run features. i.e: Cervantes' Instant Geo Da Ray in SC is a + against a downed or an opponent against the wall. It's also useful to punish your adversary with avoiding to ring yourself out.

MK9 characters have all different tactics and moves. But an arena in this one could be an ovious advantage for a character if only some arenas were smaller than others in terms of 2d scaling.

pain 12-16-2014 09:36 AM

I had used kabal name just for the sake of argument otherwise almost all characters uses arena for there advantage. Johnny cage, sub-zero specially jax and many more have limited gameplay so they all took advantages through these things.

mr fearless141 12-16-2014 06:04 PM

His low projectile is a pretty good wakeup its pretty quick

pain 12-17-2014 09:18 AM

yes, he is one of the best character if you know how to use him correctly.