PDA

View Full Version : The Mortal Kombat That Should Have Been

MKRayden
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Ex-Midway artist Vincent Proce ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) went back to the drawing board for a pitched, but ultimately rejected visual reboot of the developer's venerable Mortal Kombat franchise, posting the results of that back-to-basics design plan on his personal blog. Proce, who contributed to Midway's final fighting game (Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe ([Only registered and activated users can see links])) before being snapped up by Warner Bros, wrote that the re-imagining of the MK franchise proposed "mixing modern muti-player and dismemberment game design with the original fighting mechanic." The artist's take on four Mortal Kombat mainstays—Raiden, Kano, Scorpion and Sonya Blade—are dramatic, gritty and, for the most part, a welcome change.
Proce describes his Scorpion as "a wraith wearing the yellow blood of the demon" that resurrected him, his Kano as "half Japanese half US military bad ass." His Sonya, which will likely draw the most criticism, was redesigned as "the daughter of a Texas Ranger who's sex appeal weakens her opponents while her Special Forces training kicks their asses." Finally, his Raiden pitch portrays "a god [whose] feet rarely touch the ground."

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Shan
11-24-2009, 07:42 AM
The only one I see that I really like is Scorpion.

MKRayden
11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
I like all images

Rain
11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Man they are so AWESOME!!!

MKDrag0Ninja1988
11-25-2009, 02:04 AM
nice, they should put this on mk9.

blade
11-25-2009, 01:29 PM
The only one I see that I really like is Scorpion.

Me to! But Kano is also ok!

MKRayden
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
we miss sub-zero too

Shotokan
11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
True they are good, just taking me a bit to get used to..i don't like raiden though..perhaps because I'm used to the old look..still, they're looking more like street fighter..I thought the mk team was supposed to help more? It's a good new look, scorpion looks like an undead though heh, just different..some getting used to..although some colour would be nice. Kano is ok, but his look is suitable to his character :)

Sonya, better clothes but I like her look though :) In mk vs dc I didn't like her look too much.

Shan
11-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Some of my thoughts as I examined Raiden's picture were as follows:

"Where's his head?" *zoom in* "Oh, there it is."
"What's with the pavilion on his head? I think I prefer the manhole cover."
"This robe is kinda weird, but I suppose it'd work for a flying god in all his floaty-thunder-god majesty."
"Where is Raiden's right thumb?"

RKO Dragon15
11-27-2009, 06:36 AM
looking nice, and Scorpion's awesome!!!

Shotokan
11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah I agree Raiden looks like he's wearing a lamp shade lmao. All we need is a string to pull down so the light goes on xD

Lol raiden the thundergod, illuminating streets wherever he goes xD

RKO Dragon15
11-28-2009, 04:59 PM
maybe they got the idea of making him the thunder god when they were passing by some street lamps xD

Shotokan
11-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Ha ha maybe! xD

Shan
11-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Oooh, shiny thunder god

Too bad he lost a thumb.

Did anyone else notice that Kano's face plate and red orb eye are on the wrong side of his face?

Shotokan
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow you're right! It is! O.O they messed up!!! Wow how could the do that?

Actually I think I noticed that before..as when I first saw Kano's image I knew something was wrong about it...I just couldn't figure out what xD I think that was waht was buggin me about that image ha ha, his plate is on the wrong side! Thanks for pointing it out! I knew it was bugging me for a reasonxD

Shan
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Now they have to explain it. EXPLAIN IT!

At least Sonya still looks tough. Now she just needs pants.

RKO Dragon15
12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
maybe Kano was looking at a mirror o_O, and yeah Sonya needs pants, that image is repulsive

MKRayden
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Shan your characters observation quite good

Shan
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Shan your characters observation quite good
Thanks. I make the images bigger and sort of stare at them for a moment. I did this with every high-resolution render released last year.

Shotokan
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah it's something you look at, and think that there's something off. It's kind of like the Disney movies. You know there's something hidden, but because you assume it doesn't have obscene things in it, you don't notice it till someone points it out. With Kano I knew something was up, but the mistake was to small or not that noticeable because we pay attention but not that much by assuming that the image is correct, you can't point it out xD

But yeah I like how Sonya still has her bad attitude but she looks like a cave woman..I think Warner Bros. needs a quick look at the original mk styles for guide lines here..She looks good, better than her last look, but the clothes don't work at all...

Sensei4869
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
UPDATE: Vincent Proce has revealed a new character on his blog, this time it's Sub-Zero.

MKRayden
03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
UPDATE: Vincent Proce has revealed a new character on his blog, this time it's Sub-Zero.
Thanks Sensei4869 for update us.